Baby! Where are you?

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Through a child's eyes

I had an afternoon with Lu today. She is the daughter ( 18 months) of my friend E. E has asked me to be present at the birth of the second child to support Lu. It will be a home birth.
Lu and I did some gardening. We pulled the carrots and all of the dead summer plants. Lu took great joy in eating the carrots, dirt and all. I couldn't wash them quick enough. When she spotted a bird fly overhead she called out bird and when my dog told the dogs off next door she said "woof". Lu stayed close by in the garden and mimicked a lot of my actions. She pulled, dug and threw weeds on a pile.
Later we made some piklets for A.M and his Dad who are working on the roof of my extension. Lu helped me mix and when I bought the sultanas out she nearly fell off the chair in excitement. She ate 2 piklets, a handful of sultanas and a pear from my fruit bowl.
Before I took her home we called in at my SIL's house. She lives across the road. My SIL had her SIL visiting and she has a son of the same age. It is delightful to watch two little people communicate and explore their world together. It is very peaceful thing to watch (no fighting!). More sultanas were consumed and I returned the beautiful girl to her Mum who was very grateful for the time off. Lu cried when I left and I have to admit that it made me feel glad to be liked enough to be missed by her. Although I am fully aware that I am easily forgotten as the next interesting thing comes by!

Five Things I am Thankful For Today
  • The great night out I had with my girlfriends last night. We had dinner, went to a movie and finished with hot chocolates.
  • The fact that E has confidence in me to look after her baby. Also that she recognises how important it is for both of us.
  • All of the work my FIL is putting into building our extension. A.M has learnt so much from him and it is quality time to spend together as building is something they both enjoy.
  • That overall (apart from the failed cycle part) I have had a glorious winter break. It has been so nice to not rush around and to spend quality time with important people.
  • My husband who is the greatest man I know.

3 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear about the failed cycle, Betty, how awfully disappointing.

    Am intrigued by the piklets. What are they?

    By Blogger Thalia, at 9:08 pm  

  • I *heart* Lu! :) Sounds like a great time had by all!

    It's great to have these good days. Here's to a better next season for you...

    By Blogger Family Ties, at 9:44 pm  

  • Time with little people can be so therapeutic. I wish my husband and his brother were close so that I could be an aunt to those boys. I tried, but my MIL got in the way and my SIL is a difficult person and it ended up being better to maintain distance (as usual). I know I'm missing out. So are the boys. I'd be a wonder aunt, but I'll just have to wait for my own brothers to have children (and they don't even have women so who knows when that's going to happen).

    I'm glad the harvest went well and you had a lovely time. I'm with sunnie -- here's to a better next season.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home